- Dealers have always had to be licensed and do background checks regardless of where they're based.
- Internet sales have always had to go through an FFL dealer.
- The "gun show loophole" does not exist. They're called "private sales." They are perfectly legal. Deal with it.
- I notice even with these EO's there's still no definition of what "being in the business of firearms" is.
- If he truly had bipartisan support and the backing of 90% of Americans, the President wouldn't have to do a runaround on congress.
- Hiring more FBI and ATF agents to clear the backlog ~might~ help. I'll grant that much.
- The stigma of mental health issues would be easier to alleviate if SOP wasn't threatening to yank people's rights at the slightest provocation, which is where we are now.
- DOJ, DOD, and DHS have all looked at "Smart gun" technology, and all of them have gone "fuck a whole bunch of that." I could write a book about how the concept is fantasy bullshit that fucking Skyfall made ignorant people think could actually work.
Here on planet reality, advocating such things means you are trying to make a world where it's possible for someone to hack a sidearm. There's not enough "hell fuck no!" in the English language for how bad an idea that is.
What's probably really going on:
President Obama is the best gun salesman in human history. I need to check the math, but I heard along the lines of 1/3rd of guns in private hands were sold during his reign. I don't think he's as blindly ignorant as these EO's look. Which means he's trying to do ~something~ gun control related for his own legacy without damaging his successor in the Democrats during an election year. He's doing this by reiterating what's already federal law in the hopes that his constituency won't know the difference.